5 Things You Can do to be Happier While Single
1. Build a healthy routine.
- Get a calendar.
- Schedule work
- Obviously you need money. 😉
- A purpose helps too.
- Schedule exercise.
- I like to have a friend come to my house and workout with me.
- Find a workout accountability partner or trainer.
- Schedule time to buy and prep healthy food.
- As a working single person, sometimes I like to make a big meal on the weekend and eat leftovers during the week.
- Tackle this one thing at a time, so you don’t get overwhelmed.
- Start by buying a healthy breakfast cereal or eggs for breakfast for a few mornings per week.
- If you’re feeling energetic, plan one day a week to shop and chop your veggies for the week.
- Schedule time to upkeep your personal appearance.
- Think nail clipping, hair styling, eyebrow plucking, shaving.
- Think of anything you might not have time to do well daily, and schedule at least one day a week to catch up on those tasks.
- Schedule time with friends, time with family, and regular social outings.
- See below.
- I like church
- I like girl’s night out
- I like Saturday morning coffee at a local shop with a friend.
2. Build a strong network of friends and family.
- Go out for coffee one day a week with a friend. (I like Saturdays)
- Do something nice for a family member at least one day a week.
- Read How to Win Friends and Influence People and apply the tips to your interactions.
- Be genuinely interested in people.
3. Get a Pet – Or Don’t
- If you love animals and have none, a puppy could bring a lot of joy!
- Get one.
- If you hate the mess and have 1,000 cats, consider finding them new homes. 😉
- (LOL. That was a reference to the cat lady joke)
4. Develop your career.
- Further your education
- You have the freedom to move to school campus if you need to.
- Or, get an online degree
- Or ad a certification to your resume
- Apply for that promotion.
- You’re single. You can offer a lot of flexibility to your company.
- This is the time to take chances.
- Make a career change
- If you hate your job, this is your chance to make a change!
- Decide what career field will bring your joy each day, and dive in.
- If you have to start at the low end of the totem pole, that is ok.
- Just apply for a job in a career path that you know you would love.
5. Enjoy the little things, and incorporate them shamelessly into your day.
- Think of a guilty pleasure that brings you joy, no matter how silly it sounds.
- I love watching TV shows on Netflix and YouTube.
- I love fresh raspberries even though they are ridiculously expensive in winter.
- I love fresh flowers even though they aren’t a necessity.
- I love chocolate even though it contains sugar.
- Indulge in at least one item per day.
- Relish the experience
- The key is moderation.
- Aim to include as many tiny joys in a day as you can, while still maintaining good physical, spiritual, and social health.